Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question

Hello,

Ive been going back and forth reading all of your reviews. I am at the very beginning of my plex adventure. I have 2 (10tb Iron Wolf Drives) from an existing nas my neighbor built for me running truenas and I hate it. So i've decided to compare the DS224 and the DS423. I think I would like to stay cheaper at the moment, and wondering if I should buy the 2 bay nas or the 4 bay nas. I am not sure if I should just use the 2 (10TB) drives I already own, or buy the 2 bay box and go high with the drives to make it last for quite awhile down the road. Any info you can share would be most helpful. It is going to be a single person using the NAS.
Based on your requirements and budget, here's my recommendation:

Considering your budget and the fact that you already have two 10TB IronWolf drives, I suggest going with the Synology DS224. Since you're just starting with your Plex adventure and it's a single-user setup, the DS224 should suffice for your current needs. You can utilize the two 10TB drives you already own, which will save you some money.

In the future, if you find the need for more storage capacity or additional features, you can always upgrade or expand your NAS setup. Starting with the DS224 allows you to build a solid foundation for your Plex server while keeping costs lower initially.

Also have a look a plus series if you need remote access. https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/