Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replacing an old ITX solution

Hi,

I have a mini itx solution I built many years ago, the SSD OS drive is starting to go and I need to rebuild, so I am thinking of replacing with a NAS as primary its a network storage solution for home files backup, and media consumption device for Plex. I have WD NAS drives within the current solution I can re-use.

Intel Core i5-4670K " 3.40 GHz
16GB RAM
WDC WD40EFRX - 4TB
WDC WD40EFRX - 4TB
WDC WD80EFZX - 8TB
Using StableBit DrivePool under Windows 10 Pro

I am looking to find the best little QUIET NAS for my budget, re-use my HDD's for now and upgrade those over time.

Regards
Martin
Given your requirements and budget, the Synology DS423+ would be a solid choice for replacing your old ITX solution. This NAS offers robust performance and ample storage capacity, making it suitable for home file backup and media consumption via Plex.

With four drive bays, you can easily reuse your existing WD NAS drives and potentially expand your storage capacity in the future. The DS423+ is powered by a quad-core Intel Celeron processor and comes with 2GB of RAM (expandable up to 8GB), ensuring smooth operation even with multiple tasks running simultaneously.

The DS423+ supports Plex Media Server, allowing you to stream your media content to various devices within your home network. Additionally, it offers versatile connectivity options, including multiple USB ports and dual Gigabit Ethernet ports for high-speed data transfer.

Thanks to Synology's DiskStation Manager (DSM) software, managing your NAS and accessing your files remotely is intuitive and hassle-free. You'll also benefit from Synology's ecosystem of apps and services, providing additional functionality to suit your needs.