Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Windows 11 on VMM

I am trying to set up Windows 11 Pro on my Synology DS1621+ using Virtual Machine Manager. I followed you video guide (and other similar videos) but I get an error message that "This machine can't run Windows 11".
I understand that Microsoft changed something in their final release from the version that you would have used in your video. Is there a way around this?
Hi there,

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, you're correct that recent changes in Windows 11 compatibility requirements make it difficult to run it on certain platforms, including Synology NAS devices using Virtual Machine Manager (VMM).

The specific error message you're encountering ("This machine can't run Windows 11") indicates that your Synology NAS doesn't meet the hardware requirements for running Windows 11. These requirements include features like Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and Secure Boot, which are often not available on NAS devices.

While there isn't a direct workaround to bypass these requirements, there are a few alternative approaches you might consider:

Downgrade to Windows 10: While not ideal, running Windows 10 on your Synology NAS using VMM is still possible and offers more compatibility. You can find tutorials online for setting up Windows 10 VMs on Synology devices.
Use a pre-configured Windows 11 virtual machine: Microsoft offers pre-configured virtual machines containing Windows 11 for various virtualization platforms like VMware, Hyper-V, and VirtualBox https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-machines/. These can be a convenient option, but keep in mind they are typically evaluation versions with limited lifespans.
Explore alternative operating systems: Depending on your specific needs, consider exploring other operating systems that offer similar functionality and are more compatible with your Synology NAS, such as Linux distributions or containerized applications.