Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS

I'm choosing a NAS to back up my MacBook Pro, iPhones, and Windows systems, along with running Plex for movies mainly on a Fire TV Cube and NVIDIA Shield. While I'm initially considering a 2-bay model, I'm open to a 4-bay for future expansion. I want the option for M.2 SSD caching, and I believe 2GB of RAM might be too limiting.

I was leaning towards the Synology DS423+, but the 6GB RAM maximum (even if the CPU could support more) is concerning. The DS923+ looks appealing, but its lack of integrated graphics worries me for smooth Plex performance, especially as I might want to stream 4K content too.

I saw a positive comparison between the DS923+ and the QNAP TS-464, liking the HDMI output. However, concerns about QNAP's security record make me hesitant. Can you help me make the best decision?" Maybe another device?
Based on your requirements for backing up various devices and running Plex for multimedia streaming, the Synology DS423+ seems like a solid choice, offering reliability and scalability. While the 6GB RAM limitation might seem concerning, you can actually upgrade it beyond that, as many users have shared their experiences with RAM upgrades on Synology NAS devices [https://nascompares.com/answer/synology-...tible-ram/]. As for concerns about QNAP's security record, it's understandable to prioritize security. However, if you're still considering alternatives, the QNAP TS-464 from the 64 series offers similar performance and features, including HDMI output for direct media playback. Ultimately, both options provide robust solutions for your needs, so it comes down to personal preference and specific requirements. If you're leaning towards Synology for its RAM flexibility and ecosystem, the DS423+ is a reliable choice.