Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice?

Hi Ed! - I hope you enjoyed the last coffee, well deserved. Your advice/instructions were spot on!
OK:
I have a 'Number' of shared folders on my Synology NAS, I have created a hierarchical folder structure with subfolders within each shared folder e.g Root Folder e.g. Year - Sub Folders Commercial, Weddings, Family, etc (I am a Photographer)
I have enabled the Synology SMB etc, would enabling FTP (no encryption) be a good idea to help transfer files? If so, how do I go about it?
Running Synology DSM 7.1 atm
For example, Do I have to open an additional port on the Modem? That in itself for me is a strange science
LOL
Any advice would be appreciated

Hey Steve,

Ed here, back with some tailored advice for your photography file transfers. While unencrypted FTP might seem familiar, remember: security risks lurk around every corner, especially for client data. Let's explore secure alternatives that won't compromise your peace of mind!

SMB: Great for Local, (with Tailscale also Remote Access)

The Secure Sharing Squad:

Here are some secure options to consider:

1. Tailscale & VPN: Create separate user accounts on your NAS with granular access to specific shared folders or subfolders. Users with the Tailscale VPN app installed can securely access their assigned folders through an encrypted tunnel. This method offers robust security but might require some technical setup.

2. QuickConnect & Synology Drive App: QuickConnect provides a secure, remote access portal to your NAS. Users can install the Synology Drive app on their devices and access specific folders you share with them. This is a user-friendly option, but security might not be as strong as Tailscale & VPN.

Remember: Unencrypted FTP is a security no-go. Invest in a secure solution like Tailscale & VPN or QuickConnect & Synology Drive to protect your valuable photos and client trust.

Bonus Tip: Explore additional access control features on your NAS to further lock down security. You can set user permissions, password requirements, and even two-factor authentication for added peace of mind.

Security First, Happy Snapping Second:

Choosing a secure file transfer method might require a slight workflow adjustment, but it's an investment in the safety of your photography business. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need more personalized guidance – we're here to help you capture and share your work securely!