Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NVME RAID

Hi Mate, Just want to quickly say I really appreciate your content and regularly come to your channel for guidance ??

I'm a video editor looking for backup solution that will allow me to transfer large projects (1 - 2tb) without any drop-off in transfer speeds. I will edit from it occasionally but the main focus is to copy alot of files as fast as possible.

I recently bought 3 4tb crucial x6's and (i'm not sure if i've some how bought 3 faulty ones) the speed drops off dramatically when copying across large projects, taking almost 4/5 hours to transfer a 1 tb project.

Potential drives I was looking at are Lexar NM790 4TB SSD, Samsung 990 pro 4tb, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB.

The enclosure I was looking at OWC 4m2 thunderbolt. I like the small size of this but from what I understand it only supports Gen 2 so wouldn't be able to harness the full speed of these drives.

I work on a 16" M1 Max macbook 4tb.
Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you find the content helpful! It sounds like you're in need of a robust backup solution for your video editing projects, and I can understand the frustration with transfer speeds dropping off. When it comes to transferring large files like your 1-2TB projects, having a setup that maintains high speeds is crucial.

Considering your requirements, you might want to explore NVMe RAID setups for optimal performance. The drives you mentioned, like the Lexar NM790 4TB SSD, Samsung 990 Pro 4TB, and Crucial P3 Plus 4TB, are all solid options known for their speed and reliability. However, it's essential to pair them with an enclosure that can fully utilize their potential. While the OWC 4m2 Thunderbolt is compact, its Gen 2 support might limit the speed compared to drives that support Gen 3.

Given your setup with a 16" M1 Max MacBook, investing in a Thunderbolt 4 enclosure with Gen 3 support could maximize the performance of your chosen NVMe SSDs. This might slightly push your budget, but it's worth considering for seamless and fast transfers, especially with your large projects.

In terms of budget, aiming for the higher end (£1500) would give you more flexibility in selecting top-notch components that ensure smooth and swift data transfers, which is crucial for your workflow.