Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nas Replacement help

Hello, I have an older Netgear I3 based NAS, owned it for over 10 years now, it is tired and needs a long deserved rest. I have IT experience so I am not lost configuring devices, but for a new NAS I will need videos etc for RAID setup getting plex on it etc. I would like a NAS with integrated graphics, ability to add m2 drives, 2.5gb network port/s, ability to expand. I was looking at QNAP and Synology's as I have read terramaster's UI is not so friendly, and since Netgear is not a player anymore (I like my netgear) these were the best brands to go with. I looked at Synology 923+, 423, 423+, 920+, 1621+ and QNAP 672xt, 251D, 453DX, 653D, 872xt, 1282- either these are not checking the boxes somehow or they aren't available anymore. I was using a plex nas compatibility google doc to try and help me sort through, but it seems that the ones that will do 1080/4k video are all out of my price range. What Synology or QNAP should I try to get?
For your NAS replacement needs, considering your budget and requirements, the Synology DS423+ or the QNAP TS-464 could be suitable options. Both support 4K streaming in Plex, but note that only the QNAP model offers 2.5GbE LAN ports for faster network connectivity. If you anticipate multiple 4K transcoding streams, especially for Plex, you might want to explore the QNAP TVS-h674 with either an i3 or i5 processor for better performance. To explore more options and customize according to your specific needs, you can use our NAS Finder tool
https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/