Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS723+ 22TB Drives

I was thinking of getting a DS723+ for storing my media via Plex to watch movies / TV shows on any smart TV in my house. I don't plan on watching movies via phone so would I need to worry about Plex transcoding? I'm also worried about using two 22TB (Western Digital Red Pro) drives because I've checked their compatibility list and they only offer 3rd party drives at 16TB (14TB for Western Digital). I hope they add higher drive sizes soon.
The DS723+ is a solid choice for your media storage needs, especially if you primarily use Plex for streaming movies and TV shows on smart TVs. Since you don't plan on streaming to mobile devices, transcoding shouldn't be a concern, as smart TVs typically support common video formats directly. However, it's always a good idea to check the compatibility of your media formats with your TV to ensure smooth playback. Regarding your concern about using two 22TB Western Digital Red Pro drives, it's understandable to want higher capacity options. While Synology's compatibility list may currently max out at 16TB for third-party drives, it's possible that higher capacities will be supported in future updates. Keep an eye on Synology's announcements for any updates on drive compatibility. Just keep in mind that although these drives are not officially listed, they can still work with the DS723+, albeit with a warning message that you can easily disable through a simple hack.