Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The choice between ds423+ and ds923+

photo storage for my family 7 adults

backups of files from computers,syncing

Home assistant in VM or docker

audiobooks and movies storage - It would be nice to be able to watch movies with seperate file subtitles from my NAS on my Phillips TV with Android TV, or maybe tablet/laptop during the trip. But I mostly watch Netflix or HBO. I read about plex, but never used it
I don't have a big library of video files, but has a few classics like Lord of the rings in 4k etc... and a vacation videos.

I read about transcoding, but don't know If I need it when I cast mostly to android TV.
I know the biggest difference between those two devices is RAM (more possibilities in 923+ also better CPU) and integrated GPU (in 423+) . I don't care about higher LAN speed possibilities in 923+ and adding extra hdd bays.
I must say that I more into the 423+ now,it feels more for home use and I would buy it, but.. the price difference is less than 50$ if I add ram to 423+. So I'm puzzled.
Thank you for reaching out regarding your choice between the Synology DS423+ and DS923+ for your family's storage needs. Based on your requirements and preferences, let's delve into the considerations for each model:

DS423+:

Suitable for photo storage for your family of 7 adults.
Capable of backing up files from computers and syncing data.
Supports running Home Assistant either in a VM or Docker container.
Adequate for storing audiobooks and movies, including 4K videos.
Supports streaming to Android TV devices, but may require transcoding for certain formats.
Integrates an integrated GPU for basic video transcoding.
More affordable option with the option to upgrade RAM if needed.
DS923+:

Offers better performance with a more powerful CPU and more RAM.
Suitable for heavier workloads and multitasking, such as running multiple VMs or Docker containers simultaneously.
Provides better future-proofing and scalability.
Supports hardware-accelerated video transcoding for smoother playback on various devices.
Offers faster LAN speeds, although you mentioned this is not a priority for you.
Considering your preferences and budget, the DS423+ seems like a suitable choice. However, if the price difference is minimal and you foresee potential future requirements for more demanding tasks or higher performance, investing in the DS923+ might offer better long-term value.

Given your emphasis on home use and the modest increase in price, upgrading the RAM on the DS423+ could provide a good balance between performance and affordability. This way, you can enjoy enhanced multitasking capabilities without overspending.

Ultimately, both models offer excellent features and reliability typical of Synology NAS devices. If you're leaning towards the DS423+ and the slight price difference with RAM upgrade is manageable, it could be a practical choice for your current and foreseeable needs.