Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS - How to Connect Directly Mac

Hi-
Just watched your very informative "Synology NAS - How to Connect Directly without a Switch or Router using iSCSI & Mapped Drives" Video
Did you do a You Tube Video for directly connection the Mac Mini to a NAS? _ I cannot find it Sad

Looking for advice on how to set up my Synology NAS to Mac Studio directly via Cat 7 Cable
My Synology has 4 x LAN ports (one is connected to my modem), I would plug each end of the cable into Mac/NAS and ... use Synology assistant thereafter.
However, I would want a secure connection so (This is where I do not have a scoobie) how do I go about the static IP address side of things?

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanking you in anticipation
(02-20-2024, 04:00 PM)Enquiries Wrote: Hi-
Just watched your very informative "Synology NAS - How to Connect Directly without a Switch or Router using iSCSI & Mapped Drives" Video
Did you do a You Tube Video for directly connection the Mac Mini to a NAS? _ I cannot find it Sad

Looking for advice on how to set up my Synology NAS to Mac Studio directly via Cat 7 Cable
My Synology has 4 x LAN ports (one is connected to my modem), I would plug each end of the cable into Mac/NAS and ... use Synology assistant thereafter.
However, I would want a secure connection so (This is where I do not have a scoobie) how do I go about the static IP address side of things?

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanking you in anticipation

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out and for your interest in setting up your Synology NAS with your Mac Studio directly via a Cat 7 cable. While we haven't specifically covered this setup in a YouTube video, I can provide guidance to help you achieve your goal.
To establish a direct connection between your Mac Studio and Synology NAS using a Cat 7 cable, follow these steps:
  • Physical Connection: Connect one end of the Cat 7 cable to an available LAN port on your Synology NAS and the other end to your Mac Studio.
  • Network Configuration:
    • On your Mac Studio, navigate to System Preferences > Network.
    • Select the Ethernet connection (usually labeled Ethernet or Thunderbolt Ethernet) and click on the gear icon at the bottom.
    • Choose "Manually" from the Configure IPv4 dropdown menu.
      • Enter the desired IP address, subnet mask, router (gateway), and DNS server. For example:
      • IP address: 192.168.1.10 (or any available IP within your local network range)
      • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
      • Router (gateway): This can be the IP address of your Synology NAS, such as 192.168.1.1
      • DNS server: You can use Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or your router's DNS server.
    • Click "Apply" to save the changes.
  • NAS Configuration:
    • Launch the Synology Assistant on your Mac Studio.
    • The Assistant should detect your NAS. If not, you may need to manually add the NAS using its IP address.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your NAS, including creating shared folders, setting up user accounts, and configuring any additional settings as needed.
By configuring a static IP address on your Mac Studio, you establish a consistent and secure connection to your Synology NAS. Ensure that the IP address you assign to your Mac is within the same subnet range as your NAS to facilitate communication.
If you encounter any difficulties or have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask for assistance. We're here to help you through the setup process and ensure everything runs smoothly.