Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[TrueNAS Core and LSI 9207-4i4e] Compatible 4/8 bay SAS External Enclosure?

Hello,

I've got TrueNAS Core running on a repurposed Dell Optiplex 5040 SFF with an LSI 9207-4i4e in it. The 4 internal channels are connected to 4 enterprise SATA SSDs with a breakout cable and work great (so far).

The external connector is an SFF-8088. I'm looking for a 4 or 8 bay hotswap JBOD that I can connect to it. (I know I can't use more than 4 bays without an expander, but in my research so far, there's not a huge price difference between the 4 and 8 bay models I've found, so it's conceivable it might be cheaper to get the 4 bay).

I know the best solution would be to rebuild the whole thing in a case that actually fits it, but my budget is about $300 or less, so I can't really do that right now.
Eventually, I want to move the whole thing into an HL15, but that's going to be at least a year from now.

The JBOD will sit on my desk, about 3 feet away (it's a big desk). I know the drives will make noise, but I'm hoping for something with reasonable fans.

I tried a QNAP DL-400S. TrueNAS sees the drives connected to it, but throws all sorts of SCSI errors when doing anything as demanding as creating a pool. Sad

I've done some research and this is apparently a known issue as the QNAP enclosure can't keep up with the commands issued by the LSI card, and the solution is to either disable NCQ or get a different enclosure, and the card doesn't let you disable NCQ on a per-disk level.

I'm looking at this, which looks like a whitebox DIY solution: pc-pitstop (dot) com (slash) scsat44xt

I've also got 2U free in my rack, and am open to building/buying a reasonably quiet 2U JBOD.

Are there any other alternatives I should be looking at? My current two-bay NAS has a drive that threw a bad blocks error at me on one of the drives and failed a SMART test and then decided it was fine on reboot, so I'd like to expedite this purchase if I can. Wink
Considering your requirements and budget, the Netstor NA211A is a viable option to explore. Here's why it might be suitable:

Compatibility: The Netstor NA211A supports SAS/SATA drives and features an SFF-8088 connector, ensuring compatibility with your LSI 9207-4i4e controller.

Capacity Options: It comes in both 4-bay and 8-bay configurations, allowing you to choose according to your current needs and potential future expansion plans.

Build Quality: Netstor is known for producing reliable and sturdy enclosures, suitable for both office and travel environments.

Price: While pricing may vary, the Netstor NA211A generally falls within your budget range, making it an affordable option.

Noise Level: While not specifically advertised as a "quiet" enclosure, Netstor enclosures typically feature efficient cooling mechanisms that help manage noise levels effectively.

Support: Netstor provides good customer support and has a reputation for addressing compatibility issues promptly.

Overall, the Netstor NA211A aligns well with your requirements for a compatible, budget-friendly, and reliable JBOD enclosure for your TrueNAS Core setup. However, it's always advisable to double-check compatibility and read user reviews before making a purchase.
Thanks!

I'm having some trouble finding this JBOD. When I try to google it, all I come up with is a PCIe card enclosure.

Should I be searching for it a different way?