Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DIY NAS Build

I really like your $750 to $1000 build, but I would prefer to use a bigger case (such as the Silver Stone CS382). Although I plan to only use 6 bays at first, I would like to have the additional bays for future expansion. If you were to use the CS382, what changes and/or upgrades would you make to the N3 build you made? In particular, would you consider a stronger CPU (i7 or i9) rather than the i5 you included in your build? The prices for the higher level CPUs, especially for the i7, don't appear to be much different. Because I'm an American stationed overseas, Ali Express is not an option for me. I do have access to Amazon and local computer stores for purchases.

What advice can you provide on the hardware to go with a CS382 case?

If I wanted to stream multiple high quality 8K videos with transcoding would it be wise to install a GPU to prevent over taxing the CPU and generating too much heat?
Given your preference for the Silver Stone CS382 case and the desire for future expansion, you have a crucial choice between prioritizing CPU or GPU for transcoding. Upgrading to an i7 or i9 CPU will enhance general processing power, while installing a GPU will specifically handle video transcoding tasks. It's important to note that the transcoding load will be managed by either the CPU or GPU, not both simultaneously.

Considering your goal of streaming multiple high-quality 8K videos, having a powerful GPU dedicated to transcoding can be beneficial. Additionally, the available PCIe slots in the larger case provide flexibility for adding cards, including those for extra SATA ports, ensuring seamless future storage expansion.