Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Moderate needs for 2-4bay personal cloud NAS

Thanks for offering some advice!
I've currently got a Zyxel NAS 540 case with four Seagate 6TB ironwolf drives (2 in a RAID, 2 as backup storage)
That unit was good enough, performance-wise for network storage, archiving and the like. It was never good enough software-wise - it's administrative console was one step up from using pure linux commands.
In any evnt, with Zyxel exiting the NAS market, this unit is no longer supported. It's time to get onto something that's actually designed to do the job I need.
Which, primarily is about the administrative management.
Since this is truly a NAS, I need it to be seamlessly supporting PCs and Mac, with good security controls. I need to use smb and afp as well as HTTPS and windows protocols to access it from within the firewall. Externally, I'm using WEBDAV to mount virtual drives when I'm on the road.
The current unit is using 2 1Gb ethernet cables into the router, offering wireless access within our house;
Thoughts?
Considering your needs, the Synology DS423+ would be a great choice for your next NAS. Synology is renowned for its user-friendly interface and robust administrative management tools, ensuring a seamless experience. The DS423+ supports both PC and Mac effortlessly, providing excellent security controls. It accommodates SMB, AFP, HTTPS, and Windows protocols, ensuring versatile accessibility. With its 4-bay design, it allows RAID configurations, making it suitable for your 6TB RAID setup. Equipped with DSM 7.2 and powerful surveillance software, it aligns with your requirements. Priced reasonably, the DS423+ offers a balance of performance and affordability, making it an ideal fit for small businesses and home personal storage.