Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DAS

Seeking an external desktop drive enclosure to centralise everything.

Requirements

1. Enclosure only.
2. 40TB HDD.
3. Future-proof up to 80TB HDD.
4. Prefer option to mix HDD & SSD; and use SSD in future should the prices get down to a sensible level.
5. USB 3 gen 1/2 But TB3 capable. TB may be a little pointless given HDD read/write speeds?
6. Hardware RAID 0 to allow for easy moving between devices.
7. Must mount as a local drive due to cloud backup solution limitations.
8. As quiet and cool running as possible as likely to be sat near desk.
9. Prefer it to look good (subjective I know) but should not be a limiting factor.
10. Solid build, reliable, fast

I have looked at QNAP TR-004/004U, G-Tech Shuttle 4, Terramaster, OWC so far. Confused by the options that are / are not out there, and rapidly concluding what I'm looking for does not exist, and that without trying them over time a choice will be difficult.

Thoughts / pointers appreciated,

Thanks,
Sam
Navigating through DAS options can indeed be a maze, but you've got some good choices on your radar. Not many DAS systems permit mixing drives of different sizes, making your hunt a bit unique.

Opting for a hardware RAID-based enclosure would definitely amp up your speeds compared to software RAID – a choice that often boils down to personal preference. From our favorites, Arica, Pegasus, and potentially Netstor caught our eye. Check out Areca's Thunderbolt 8050T3 https://www.areca.com.tw/products/thunde...050T3.html for a promising option.

Hope this sheds some light on your quest!