Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for video editing

Hey guys, just wanted to say, love the videos!

I am a video editor, I currently use a mixture of SSDs to edit from, however I am looking for a solution to backup all my footage and potentially edit from in the future.

I was looking at the Synology ds1522+(5x16tb Seagate Ironwolf pro drives) and the DS1621+ (6x 12tb Seagate Ironwolf pro Drives).

After reading your review, I've seen you say that they struggle with video playback of 4k. My question is, is there a better alternative for my budget? Also, my computer is currently 1gbt, but I would like to have the option to upgrade the NAS to 10 in the future if I I should upgrade my editing computer.
Hey! Thanks for the shoutout! For your video editing gig, the Synology DS1522+ with 5x16TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives or the DS1621+ with 6x12TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives are awesome picks within your budget. They handle 4k playback smoothly, especially in a local network setup. However, if you're planning on remote transcoding, that's where you might face some challenges. To future-proof for a potential 10GbE upgrade, check out options like the DS1823xs+ or DS3622xs+ with beefier AMD Ryzen processors. Dive into more possibilities with our NAS Finder tool: https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/. Happy editing!