Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacement for Drobo 5D

Hi there,

I have a Drobo 5D with 3 x 4TB WD NAS Red drives. This is connected to a Mac Mini via a TB2 connection which also acts as a Plex server

Looking to migrate to a supported NAS device, given Drobo is defunct. Prefer to keep it directly attached to the Mac (presume TB3 upgrade) and would like the easiest way to migrate.

Having at least 5 bays would be good to allow for additional storage.

I have seen the recent NAS announcements by UGreen with attractive pricing, but I am worried about the quality, given they are new to this market.

Would like some ideas of devices to look out for good prices on.

Thanks.

Hey there! Making the switch from Drobo to a reliable NAS is a smart move, especially with your Plex setup. Synology's Plus series, like the DS1522+, is worth checking out. It supports a mix of drives like Drobo, though keep in mind a reformat is necessary during migration. With an AMD Ryzen R1600 and 8GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM, it packs the power for your Plex needs. Looking forward, the DS1522+ ensures scalability and performance for the next five years. You can find it in your budget, and don't forget to explore the NAS Finder tool (https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/)