Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DAS for media storage and data backup

Hello.

I have been researching external thunderbolt RAID enclosures to manage through a "stripped" Macbook pro that is now in a server capacity on our home network. I would like to archive all of my music and photos as well as have a second location for Time Machine backups.

In my reading there are active debates regarding HW RAID and SW RAID. There also seems to be a varied set of opinions when it comes to solid state, or enterprise grade spinning media.

Lastly, noise... I have read that OWC and others are VERY noisy and I do not want that issue to come along for the ride when I pull the proverbial trigger on a storage solution.

At the end of the day, I am in search of a reliable RAID enclosure that offers reliability, value and relative quiet. I don't think I need RAID 5, but defer to your expertise on whether RAID 1 is enough for my application. I would also like to be able to monitor the health of the drives. The MB P is a 2013 13" w/ Intel i7, 500 MB & 16 GB.
Hey! Thanks for reaching out. Given your requirements, I'd suggest looking into the TerraMaster TD2 Thunderbolt 3 RAID enclosure. It offers reliable hardware RAID configurations, and with Thunderbolt 3, you'll get fast data transfer speeds. Considering your concerns about noise, the TerraMaster TD2 is known for its relatively quiet operation. For your needs, RAID 1 should provide sufficient redundancy and data protection, and you can start with 2x 8TB HDDs, eventually expanding to 4x 8TB for your desired 16TB in RAID.

As for debates on HW vs. SW RAID and SSD vs. HDD, it depends on your priorities. HW RAID often provides better performance, and SSDs are faster but come at a higher cost. However, for media storage and backups, HDDs might offer a better value. Monitoring drive health can be achieved through the TerraMaster software.

Feel free to check out more details and user reviews for the TerraMaster TD2 on our guide (https://nascompares.com/guide/a-buyers-g...irst-time/)