Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Super Confused and need advice

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie that is super confused and frustrated. I have already setup up my NAS but the process is not going smoothly and I feel like the more I try to research how to fix things the more complicated and overwhelming all the technical details are getting.

To Start - I setup a Qnap TS-464-8G-US with 2 seagate exos 20TB drives. I am using this set up with Jellyfin just for a home media server for my movies and photos. My process is basically to use MakeMKV to create a MKV file of my movies and put them directly to my NAS with no handbrake compression. I did the basic setup straight off of Robbie's Qnap and Jellyfin set up videos and that part went splendidly. But I now have 3 really big follow up problems/slash questions. I have tried to research these issues but it's like going down a rabbit hole of technical details I can not mentally process. I am not trying to become a tech wizard. I just want to stream my own movies instead of paying Amazon $4.99 every time I want to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off! 

1 - This part I might have frakked up. After I had uploaded 3 MKV files and the system acquired all the meta data files I saw they were all just jumbled together so I tried to organize the movies using different folders for my movie categories. Then the next day they were all moved around and it took a minute to find but it looks like they got put into snapshot folders. I deleted all the folders and files I made and tried to reload the movies but they still keep moving to snapshot folders. 
1Q - Can someone please link me to a video about how to Organize the files in Qnap File Station and how to keep snapshot from moving them around?

2 - I think this is related to the snapshot issue but Jellyfin is also duplicating the movies in the main movie window. I created collection folders and the movies are NOT duplicating in there. But it looks like everyday a new snapshot is created a new duplicate movie icon appears in the main movie folder. Sometimes I can delete the duplicates and sometimes the system will not let me. I can't go through and delete endless duplicates every time I open Jellyfin. Especially once I get hundreds of movies in there. 
2Q - How can I stop Jellyfin from duplicating movie icons? Is it related to snapshot? Do I need to turn Snapshot off?

3 - This part is question and recommendation request. So after I ripped my 3rd movie my external disk drive decided to crap out on me. I grabbed another basic Bluray read and write drive from Amazon but it wont open any of my disks now. When I try to open them in MakeMKV it just keeps failing. I've tried with an old version and the current version of MakeMKV but it just wont do it. I tried to look this up too but the variables are so vast that I couldn't hone in on a good answer. In fact I came across a whole new thing about flashing drives? I've never even heard fo that before.
3Q - Do I need a specific type of drive to open Blurays in MakeMKV? Is there a difference in older drives that works better? What the heck is flashing a drive and do I need to worry about that? 

Thank you to anyone that read this whole thing and is able to answer any of these questions. I appreciate the help.

BK
I understand your frustration! Setting up a NAS and media server can be overwhelming, especially with all the technical details. Don't worry, I'm here to help. Let's address your questions one by one:

Organizing Files and Snapshots:
1Q: You haven't messed anything up! Snapshots are meant to capture the state of your files at specific points in time. Moving files to snapshot folders is normal behavior. Here's how to organize your files without snapshots interfering:

Disable Snapshot Auto-Restore: Go to Storage & Snapshots > Snapshot Manager > Snapshot Settings > Snapshot Schedule and uncheck "Restore snapshot automatically after snapshot task is finished."
Organize within Snapshots: You can create folders within "@Recently-Snapshot" to organize your movies. However, these won't show in File Station until a restore.
Create separate copies: Copy your movie files from the "@Recently-Snapshot" folder to a new location outside the snapshot directory. This allows you to organize without interference.
Here's a video on file management in QNAP: QNAP File Management
Jellyfin Duplicates and Snapshots:
2Q: Duplicates are likely not directly related to snapshots. Here are some possibilities:

Jellyfin Library Scan: Ensure you have configured Jellyfin's library scan settings to avoid scanning snapshot folders.
Multiple Libraries: Check if you have accidentally created multiple libraries in Jellyfin that include the same files.
Database Corruption: Try rebuilding Jellyfin's database to see if corrupted entries are causing issues.
Turning off snapshots altogether isn't recommended as it removes data protection. Instead, address the root cause of duplicates.
Blu-ray Drive and MakeMKV:
3Q: Not all drives are created equal for ripping Blu-rays. Here's what you need to know:

Compatible Drive: You need a drive with specific firmware for ripping Blu-rays with MakeMKV. Check the MakeMKV compatibility list: MakeMKV Compatibility List
Flashing: Some drives require firmware updates (flashing) to enable ripping capabilities. This can be risky, so research your specific drive model carefully before attempting it.
Older Drives: Generally, older drives are less likely to be compatible due to firmware limitations.
Recommendations:
Look for a drive on the MakeMKV compatibility list or forums for reliable ripping.
Consider professional ripping services if DIY feels overwhelming.
Regularly back up your important data, not just with snapshots, but to an external drive or cloud storage.
Additional Resources:
QNAP Knowledge Base: QNAP Knowledge Base
MakeMKV Forum: MakeMKV Forum
Jellyfin Forum: Jellyfin Forum
Remember, you don't have to become a tech wizard, but understanding the basics will help you manage your NAS and media server more effectively.