Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS224+ with old hardisk

Hi Hope you are doing well.

I am planning to buy a DS224+ NAS. I already have couple of hard disks from my previous device ie., QNAP TS-251

ST2000DM001-1ER164 is the model from Seagate. However I would like to know if this is compatible with the DS224+ before making the purchase decision.

The compatibility page from Synology doesnt list this hardisk. However I do not want to waste this as its in very good condition and its 7200 rpm and not to waste money.

Is it ideal to use this HDD on a new DS224+.

Also another question if I may, Going full SSD on DS224+ is it possible. I reckon SSD could be used just as an additional cache on top of a HDD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for your guidance and kudos to you and the team.

Kind Regards,
Prasanth
Thank you for reaching out! While the Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 isn't listed on Synology's compatibility page, it's still possible that it could work with the DS224+. Synology's list is not exhaustive, and many drives not officially listed can still function well. You can give it a try, but keep an eye on compatibility updates from Synology.

As for using SSDs in the DS224+, it supports SSDs for both caching and storage (synology nvme only). You can set up SSD caching to enhance performance, or you can use SSDs as primary storage. Combining SSDs with HDDs for caching and storage respectively is also a viable option for a balanced setup.