Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP setup for plex

Hi everyone,

After much consideration, I've decided to dive into the world of Plex and NAS to organize and access my 4K UHD Blu-ray collection both at home and remotely. Following extensive research, I've opted for the QNAP TS-464, accompanied by two NVMe SSDs and HDDs. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of all the equipment.

This is my first time setting up a NAS, and it would primarily be for Plex use. Here is my current plan:

1. Install only the two NVMe SSDs for the initial QNAP and Plex setup, ensuring the OS and Plex reside on the SSDs.
2. Integrate the two HDDs into RAID 1, establishing a new pool and volume for storing movies and TV shows.
While going through the provided security checklist, I got a little confused. I'm seeking guidance, particularly in my situation where the QNAP will be exclusively used for Plex. Some specific questions include:

Is it necessary to create a non-admin user with read-only privileges for Plex?
Which port(s) should be closed or modified for optimal Plex performance?
Should I still implement SSL encryption for a Plex setup?
As someone who is tech illiterate, I want to ensure that I'm on the right track. Any step-by-step guidance or checklist tailored to my situation would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

Best,

P.
Exciting times ahead with your QNAP TS-464 for Plex! Start by installing NVMe SSDs for the OS and Plex, ensuring optimal performance. Integrate HDDs into RAID 1 for movie storage. Consider adding a non-admin user for Plex security. Open port 32400 for Plex access, and SSL encryption is recommended for remote use. Keep QNAP and Plex updated for enhanced features. Explore QNAP's App Center for more. Enjoy your Plex setup!