Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

T9 vs Enclosures on Mac Studio (Music Production)

Hi, I just watched your very informative video on the Samsung T9 which answered a few questions and raised a few others! Intel etc have made all this incredibly complicated these days. 

I am in the process of upgrading to a Mac Studio (M2 Max) for music production and require an extensive array of SSDs for audio/sample/archive purposes. The sample drive needs to be as quick as possible as it reads huge libraries. It would be directly connected to one of the ports defined by Apple as:

Four Thunderbolt 4 ports with support for:
Thunderbolt 4 (up to 40Gb/s) 
DisplayPort 
USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s) 
USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)

This implies that the port does not support 3.2 gen2x2 though I may be wrong? In which case as per your video the T9 would not perform adequately. Are you able to clarify? This would be a shame as I would prefer something off the shelf and reliable. 

I have explored enclosures with a Samsung internal drive but they made me slightly uneasy given that so many were reporting wildy different speeds, heat issues, deceleration, and the long term reliability/durability is unknown. Maybe I have to go back to this option though. In which case can you recommend a reliable enclosure? 

Thanks in advance!
Hello there! I appreciate your inquiry, and I understand the complexities involved in choosing the right storage solution for your music production needs on the Mac Studio. Regarding the Samsung T9, you're correct that its performance might be limited by the Thunderbolt 4 port's specifications, particularly if it doesn't support USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. In such a case, you might not fully harness the T9's capabilities.