Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrading my Current Setup

Hello,

Please see my setup below.

- HP Elitedesk 800 G4 Workstation
- i5-8500
- 32 GB RAM
- UnRAID (18 TB parity + 22TB Data + 1TB NVME Cache)

This system is currently working for my needs, but it has limitations (only 4 Sata) plus it doesn't have enough space to mount all the HDD.

I was looking at your Jonsbo N2 guide under $250 but I feel like I would be downgrading the CPU. I usually have 3-4 concurrent streams with a maximum of 2 Transcodings. The i5-8500 handles it like a charm.

I really want to get into something less bulkier like the Jonsbo N2 but I am not sure what to buy in terms of MOB, CPU, etc. I tried your guide under $500 but Ali Express charges me $100+ in shipping since I'm in the US. The MOB in Amazon does not come with the CPU so I would be need to buy that one separately if anything.

Is there any other approach that you could recommend?

Thanks in advanced!
Thanks for reaching out and sharing the details of your current setup. It's awesome to hear that your i5-8500 is handling streaming like a champ. I get it, though – sometimes, we all want something a bit sleeker and with more juice.

After checking out your situation, I've got a suggestion that should keep your streaming game strong and address your concerns.

Mini-ITX Motherboard:
I'd recommend diving into Mini-ITX motherboards. ASUS, Gigabyte, and ASRock have some solid options. Look for one with at least 6 SATA ports to handle your existing drives.

Processor (CPU):
Upgrade to a newer Intel Core i5 or i7 – the i5-10400 or i7-10700 should give you the performance you need for your concurrent streams.

Memory (RAM):
No need to change a good thing – stick with your 32GB of RAM. Just make sure the Mini-ITX motherboard supports DDR4.

Compact Case:
For that sleek vibe, check out cases from Fractal Design, NZXT, or SilverStone. Find one that's Mini-ITX friendly and has room for your drives.

Power Supply:
Grab a reliable PSU from Corsair, EVGA, or Seasonic – make sure it's got the wattage to power up your new components.

Storage:
Good news – you're set with your current drives. Just double-check that the Mini-ITX motherboard can handle all your storage needs.

Operating System:
Stick with UnRAID for the smooth ride. Just do a quick check for compatibility with the new gear.

Don't forget to shop around for the best deals and read some user reviews for peace of mind. This setup should give you that sleek feel you're after while keeping your streaming setup top-notch.