Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex Home theater/ Streaming NAS Advice

Hi,

I am working on putting together a NAS for both my 4K HDR home theater and to also to be used a streaming server for other family members. as I will be taking everyone's currently owned physical media and burning it to be part of the NAS.

I also figured that i may store some other files on it, as a personal google drive of sorts but that would be less than 1tb and not the first priority.

For my home theater I will am running the Nvidia Shield Pro as the media player. But I also want to be able to use the server outside the home preferably 4K stream but idk if that is possible for the budget.

I have already have a single 18tb drive, a single 20tb drive, plus a 500gb NVME from other projects that I will be using.

My goal is to have the highest quality streaming to the theater itself, then stream in the highest quality possible from outside the house that stays in budget.

What devices do you suggest I take a look at? Thank you.
Considering your requirements for a Plex Home Theater and streaming server, I recommend the Synology DS423+. This NAS model provides reliable performance and is suitable for your 4K streaming needs. You can use the Nvidia Shield Pro as your media player for the home theater.

Utilizing your existing drives (18TB, 20TB, and 500GB NVMe) is a cost-effective approach. Install the NVMe for caching to enhance performance.

For remote streaming, ensure you have a robust internet connection. While achieving 4K streaming outside the house might be challenging within the specified budget, the DS423+ handles high-quality streaming well.