Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Drobo 5N replacement

Hi,

My Drobo 5N (5x 6Tb) is finally starting to die and I need to replace it; so, I'm looking for advice on the replacement.

I've had no issues with my 5N and if Drobo was still in business I would have just bought a new 5N2.

While I'm a competent Linux admin so don't mind having to take a new NAS and install another OS (OMV, TrueNAS, etc.), I don't want to have a system I have to babysit a lot, I just need something that works.

So my requirements in a nutshell:
- Small footprint
- Low power
- Quiet
- After initial set-up, it just works
- 5 or 6 bays
- Ability to mix and match drives upgrading one at a time (similar to Drobo's BeyondRAID - I upgraded from 4Tbs to 6Tbs)
- Reasonable cost

At the moment my research has led me to the Terramaster T6-423, possibly installing TrueNas or OMV but I'd like to get your thoughts as to what would be the best NAS for me.

Thanks.
It's always a bit tricky when a trusty NAS starts showing signs of age. Considering your requirements, I'd suggest looking into the Synology Plus series, specifically 5 or 6-bay models. They offer a compact footprint, low power consumption, and a user-friendly experience. With Synology, the initial setup is a breeze, and once configured, it tends to run smoothly without constant attention. The ability to mix and match drives for gradual upgrades aligns well with your needs. Plus, Synology has excellent compatibility with various drive sizes. Take a peek at the NAS Finder tool [https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/] for a more tailored recommendation based on your preferences. Best of luck with your search and feel free to explore the Synology options!