Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Connecting NAS Directly in Linux

An Excellent, and detailed, blog on how to directly connect an Asustor NAS in Windows, My question is how to do it in Linux (I am using the Manjaro distro with Nemo as the file manager), connecting via router and browser, and even via Nemo using the browser connection url, is no problem, but need the 2.5Gb speed offered by the NAS (Lockerstor 6 2nd Gen). I have a Realtek 8125 2.5Gb Lan built in to the PC motherboard and a QNAP PCIE card with an Intel I225-LM 2.5Gb.

I would like to know the following, if possible;

1. Single 2.5Gb to Single 2.5Gb direct PC to NAS
2. 2 x 2.5gb to 2 x 2.5Gb direct PC to NAS (either operating singularly or as "Link Aggregated" )
3. as No 2 but via Netgear MS108EUP 2.5Gb Switch (either operating singularly or as "Link Aggregated" )

Whilst either a direct answer or a blog tutorial would be great, a video tutorial would be excellent for all Linux Newbies.

Regards
Steve Wrack
Connecting a Linux system, such as Manjaro, to an Asustor NAS for optimal 2.5Gb speed involves a few steps. Here, I'll guide you through the process for both direct connections and connections via a switch.

1. Single 2.5Gb to Single 2.5Gb Direct PC to NAS:
a. Configure NAS Network Settings:
* Ensure the NAS has a fixed IP address on your network.
* Confirm that the NAS is set to use the 2.5Gb network interface.
b. Check Linux Network Settings:
* Make sure your Linux machine has the appropriate network drivers installed for your 2.5Gb NICs.
* Assign a static IP to your Linux machine on the same subnet as the NAS.
c. Connect Directly:
* Use an appropriate Cat6 or higher Ethernet cable to connect your Linux machine directly to the 2.5Gb port on the NAS.
d. Mount NAS in Linux:
* Open Nemo file manager.
* In the address bar, enter the following URL replacing <NAS_IP> with the actual IP address of your NAS: smb://<NAS_IP>/.

2. 2 x 2.5Gb to 2 x 2.5Gb Direct PC to NAS (Link Aggregation):
a. Configure NAS Link Aggregation:
* Set up Link Aggregation on the NAS using the 2.5Gb ports.
* Configure the NAS to use the Link Aggregation protocol supported by your Linux distribution (typically LACP).
b. Linux Link Aggregation:
* Ensure that your Linux machine supports and is configured for Link Aggregation.
* Connect both 2.5Gb ports from your Linux machine to the NAS.
c. Mount NAS in Linux:
* Use the same URL as in the previous section (smb://<NAS_IP>/) to access the NAS.

3. 2 x 2.5Gb to 2 x 2.5Gb via Netgear MS108EUP 2.5Gb Switch (Link Aggregation):
a. Configure NAS Link Aggregation:
* Set up Link Aggregation on the NAS using the 2.5Gb ports.
* Configure the NAS to use the Link Aggregation protocol supported by your switch (often LACP).
b. Connect to the Switch:
* Connect both 2.5Gb ports from your Linux machine to the Netgear MS108EUP switch.
* Ensure that the switch is powered on and properly configured.
c. Mount NAS in Linux:
* Use the same URL as before (smb://<NAS_IP>/) to access the NAS.
Notes:
* For Link Aggregation, ensure that your switch, NAS, and Linux machine all support the same protocol (usually LACP).
* Verify that the Realtek 8125 and Intel I225-LM drivers are loaded on your Linux machine.
For video tutorials, check platforms like YouTube for guides specific to your NAS model and Linux distribution. Be cautious and choose videos from reputable sources to ensure accurate information.
If the NAS is on the local lan, why not mount NFS shares in fstab and access it that way?

eg. 
Code:
192.168.218.7:/volume1/MS7C91          /mnt/224-MS7C91 nfs  fg,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,actimeo=60,nosuid 0 0