Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Update DS214play

Hello,

I would like some advice on buying a NAS replacing my DS214PLAY.
I also have a Qnap on the side only to store but my DS214play was for backup and eventually for virtual machine or dockers (which doesn't work..)

I intend to keep my 2TB in raid 1 in my new NAS (already have the WD red Hdd) and to add what's necessary to manage virtual machines or dockers (like Nvme ssd) : home assistant, jellyfin, qbitorrent, backup app, VPN (if it works).

I saw the 224+ but I'm seeing the limitations of it if I want to have faster access with virtual machines, it seems or would it be sufficient to manage for it? It doesn't seem relevant to have nvme on external USB to manage virtual machines or am I wrong?
M.2 Sata SSD would sufficient instead of M.2 Nvme SSD for my purpose?

I'll have a 2,5GBe grid between my NAS only and one computer, mainly to monthly copy big files.

What would you recommend as a new NAS and with which config for my purpose, please?

Thank you,

FĂ©lix Roux
In considering your NAS upgrade, both the Synology DS723+ and DS923+ remain solid choices for your needs. If you're focusing on local streaming and remote streaming up to 1080p, the DS723+ with its AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU and 2 GB DDR4 ECC RAM is a cost-effective solution. It should handle applications like Home Assistant, Jellyfin, qBittorrent, backup apps, and VPN efficiently.

However, if virtualization plays a significant role for you, the DS923+ offers a bit more future-proofing with its AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU and 4 GB DDR4 ECC RAM, providing added capacity for managing multiple virtual machines.

For optimizing your network speed, consider options like SMB Multichannel or a USB 2.5GbE adapter. These additions can enhance your network performance without a full NAS replacement. Both models are adaptable to these options, ensuring a flexible solution for your specific requirements.

Feel free to explore the latest pricing and availability in France and compare both options using the NAS Finder tool at https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/.