Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

home data storage

most my data is film/tv, not massively important, be a bummer to loose it all tho; even if easily replaceable or not worth replacing. would like redundancy. important data is rarer collections: some film/tv, mostly music & books, articles, pdfs, photos etc. likely replaceable if it came to it, but just losing it would make some of it unlikely to be recovered due to forgetting what its called. the critical, i say less than 1tb but its likely half that even. itd be all personally created documents, files, photos, videos, music etc. currently running a 4th gen I5 tower w/ 16gb ddr3. as soon as i copy data to a 8tb hdd and my c: drive to a new 2tb nvme, ill be swapping to a gen 8 i7 with 32gb ddr4. ill hopefully be bringing along a 4tb hdd, 4tb ssd, 1tbssd and have everything runnin much more efficiently. i currently watch most of that content on a regular flatscreen (not-smart) i have limited internet and dont expect that to change, using ps3, micca or comp. limited on space and money
Considering your storage needs and budget, a DIY NAS build is a great choice. I'd recommend the Synology DS423 as a solid 4-bay option, providing ample storage capacity with the flexibility to expand in the future if needed. The DS423 features a Realtek RTD1619B CPU with transcoding capabilities, and it comes with 2 GB DDR4 non-ECC RAM. This NAS supports RAID configurations for data redundancy, ensuring the safety of your critical and important data. Additionally, it's well-suited for multimedia use, allowing you to easily stream content to your non-smart flatscreen. For your DIY preference, the DS423 allows for customization while still being user-friendly. You can check its compatibility and explore other options using the NAS Finder tool at https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/. It's a practical way to ensure your NAS meets your current needs and can adapt to any future expansion requirements.