Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for running about 16 virtual PCs

I need to provide my students with PCs running Adobe flash as most of my resources use it. So far I provide free Lenovo laptops (which run flash OK) (refurbished). Unfortunately, some are needing updates and repair. which is costly and slow.
Is it possible on a Qnap NAS to run up to 20 virtual PCs (cloned from the laptops I use already, as virtual PCs?
I run Teamviewer for remote access when needed at the moment.
We have Internet download speeds of about 800Mb/second and upload speed of about 1000Mb second using fibre to home.
If possible how easy would it be to update the resources on the virtual PCs? Kind regards
Tony
Thanks for reaching out! Running 16 virtual PCs, especially for resource-intensive tasks like Adobe Flash, requires a robust NAS. Given your budget and requirements, I'd recommend checking out the Synology XS series, particularly the models with Xeon processors. The DS3622xs+ or DS3621xs+ could be solid options, providing the necessary power for smooth virtualization. With your fiber-optic speeds, remote access via TeamViewer should work well. Just keep in mind that resource sharing across virtual machines on a NAS might result in a fraction of the performance compared to individual PCs. As for updating resources, it depends on the NAS model and software used for virtualization, but generally, it should be manageable.
https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/