Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Emby Media Server on DS923+

Hi!

Happy New Year! I am a tech guy and enjoy your content on everything NAS a lot.

I am currently using a Synology NAS DS413j which I bought back in 2013 and am finally going to upgrade. I actually went and bought a DS923+ and was hoping to make use of it as an Emby Media server. I didn't use my previous NAS for anything other than media serving but wanted to step up to using Emby instead of Audio Station and Video Station. I am concerned though that I may have made the wrong choice!! My videos are either MKV, MK4 or MP4 (I think that is it) and my audio is in FLAC and MP3...

Did I make a mistake? Will it work for my use case? should I upgrade the memory and if so, can I get by with using memory other than Synology?

Appreciate the free advice! Thanks, John
Happy New Year! Thanks for reaching out, and I appreciate your loyalty to our content. Congratulations on your new DS923+! It's a robust choice for a NAS upgrade. Regarding your plan to use it as an Emby Media server, you've made a solid decision. The DS923+ is well-equipped with a powerful AMD Ryzen R1600 processor, offering ample performance for your media needs, supporting MKV, MK4, MP4, FLAC, and MP3 formats.

For your specific use case, the DS923+ should work seamlessly. However, considering Emby's transcoding demands, upgrading the memory might be beneficial for smoother performance, especially if you plan on serving media to multiple devices simultaneously. While Synology-branded memory is recommended for optimal compatibility, some third-party options may work as well.