Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DIY NAS: Usage intentions are clear, but unsure of build approach

I'm looking to build a modest home NAS for me and my parents (two households). I know what I want to achieve in terms of usage but have some questions regarding hardware. On the software side of things, however, I'm looking forward to learning more and I expect to spend a lot of time tinkering and optimising. Some context:

BUDGET: $500-600 AUD
STORAGE: 8 TB
GOALS:
- General storage for documents and media collections.
- Self-hosting (BitWarden, Photoprism).
- Jellyfin/Plex media server with 1080p transcoding capability on at least two devices. Power-efficient and relatively quiet.

QUESTIONS
- Is this achievable with my budget?
- Repurpose old PCs or build from scratch?
- Separate device for media server? (e.g mini PC)
- Is a dedicated HDD for redundancy necessary?
- RAM - 8 GB or 16 GB?

Thanks in advance.
Considering your budget and aspirations, I'd recommend exploring a DIY NAS approach with Unraid as the operating system for cost-effectiveness and versatility. Aim for a build featuring a processor with at least a Celeron or, ideally, an i3 and above for improved performance.

For a DIY NAS, you can repurpose an old PC or build from scratch, focusing on key components like a reliable motherboard, efficient power supply, and a spacious chassis. Utilizing Unraid provides flexibility in managing your storage and running various applications.

Separating the media server from general storage is an option worth considering, perhaps using a dedicated mini PC for the media server to enhance performance during transcoding processes.

While redundancy is crucial for data protection, the dedicated HDD for redundancy might be an area to optimize costs. Depending on your needs, you could start with a single HDD and later expand with additional drives, leveraging Unraid's flexibility in mixing drive sizes.

In terms of RAM, beginning with 8GB is reasonable for an initial setup, but having the ability to upgrade to 16GB offers headroom for future expansion and optimizations, especially if running multiple applications simultaneously.