Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First home NAS

Hello,

I've been watching a lot of your videos which have been very helpful learning all about NAS. I am looking to install a NAS at home to act as a media server, as file storage & have the capability to include video surveillance down the line. I feel the Synology Ecosystem is my preferred option.

My biggest uncertainty is for running Plex/Jellyfin. I don't have 4K movies stored (& I'm unlikely to do this in the near future), only DVD/Blu Ray files with at best H.264 Codec for the latter. Therefore, I thin max res I have stored is 1080p. Do I need to worry about the lack of integrated graphics on the DS923+? Looking at the DS423+, the lack of RAM and expandability worries me.
Looking at your videos of the DS423+ & DS923+running plex, I'm guessing theDS923+ will run just fine however I'm looking for an opinion before committing to anything & hoping you can help?

Thanks in advance & for all of your online content,
Yannick
Great to hear you've found the NAS videos helpful! For your specific needs, considering the Synology Ecosystem, the DS923+ should handle your media server requirements smoothly, even without integrated graphics. Since your media is currently at 1080p resolution with H.264 Codec, the DS923+ with its robust CPU should manage Plex/Jellyfin without a hitch.

While the DS423+ is a solid NAS, your concern about RAM and expandability is valid. The DS923+ with its superior specs, including more RAM, makes it a more future-proof choice, especially if you plan to expand your usage to include video surveillance down the line.

Feel confident in going for the DS923+; it aligns well with your requirements and offers a good balance of performance and capabilities.