Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS723+ vs TS-264-8GB

Hi Team,

Please could I ask for your advice on a first NAS purchase.

I have narrowed down between the Synology DS723+ and the QNAP TS 264-8GB based on what I have learnt from your website/YouTube videos.

I'm happy with having two bays for HDDs with the ability to extend with M.2 drives later down the line.

I will mainly be using the NAS to store video files (movies/tv 1080p and 4K HDR) and photos.
I’d like to transfer as much data to the NAS via USB if possible. Most of my data sits on external SSD’s ATM so if I can bypass transferring data to a computer then to the NAS it would make life easier.

I will be accessing video files via Nvidia shield (via Jellyfin/Plex) or VLC player on MacBook.

Would the larger RAM on the QNAP be better long term?

Keen to purchase the one which will last be the longest

Many thanks for your help and information
For your specific needs, both the Synology DS723+ and QNAP TS-264-8GB are solid choices, but each has its own strengths. The DS723+ offers Synology's user-friendly DSM software, efficient transcoding capabilities for video streaming, and reliable performance. On the other hand, the QNAP TS-264-8GB boasts a larger RAM size, which can be beneficial for handling more concurrent tasks and might offer better long-term performance.

Considering your use case of storing and streaming video files (including 4K HDR) and photos, both NAS units can handle this workload. The ability to extend storage with M.2 drives aligns with your future expansion plans. For seamless data transfer from your external SSDs, both NAS options provide USB connectivity, enabling you to directly import data without intermediaries.

If you prioritize user-friendly software and efficient transcoding, the DS723+ is an excellent choice. However, if you foresee more demanding tasks and want to future-proof your NAS with additional RAM, the QNAP TS-264-8GB might be the better long-term investment. Consider your preferences in terms of user interface and software features when making the final decision. Happy NAS shopping!