Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buying my first NAS

Hi guys!
I'm lost in the NAS jungle. I've been watching your youtube videos for the last week trying to understand it all.
I run a photography / videography business myself (I'm the only worker) and am tired of handling 15 different HDDs on my desk, not remembering where I put that file or where that folder is.
I want to improve my workflow by having everything in the same place and a large storage, an 8-bay of 20TB drives.

Now the question is, as I'm not sure if I am willing to take the risk to bring it online due to all the hacks I've been hearing you talk about. I might just keep the NAS open in my home network to play it safe. With that in mind, maybe I dont need the fanciest or most expensive NAS? I was however looking at the QNAP TVS-h874T since I want this NAS to last a long time and this one is future proof with the Gen4 NVMes and TB4. But maybe it's also overkill for my needs? Perhaps the QNAP TVS-872XT would be enough? The Synology 1821+ is cheap but too slow..
Absolutely, diving into the NAS world can feel like a jungle, but kudos for seeking clarity. Given your photography/videography business and the need for an organized, centralized storage solution, an 8-bay NAS is a solid choice. While the QNAP TVS-h874T boasts Gen4 NVMe and TB4 for future-proofing, it might be a bit of an overkill for your current needs. The QNAP TVS-872XT strikes a good balance, offering robust features without breaking the bank. However, don't underestimate the Synology DS1821+; it might seem budget-friendly, but Synology's software prowess can deliver impressive results. Considering your hesitation about online exposure, keeping the NAS on your home network is a cautious approach. Explore your options, and remember, the NAS Finder tool can be a handy guide in this journey. https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/