Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1st NAS

Never did a NAS and don't know much other than, I am going with Unraid to make a plex/emby server and use for VM/file management. Plan on doing a raid 1. What is purchased/built:
Jonsbo N1 CASE
B550i strix MOBO
2x 32gb mushkin ecc DDR4
Ryzen 5 4650g pro CPU
5x 16tb exos CPU
S650 NZXT PSU (from my H1 case)
NVME- 5 port sata and nvme extender to use rear pcie 3.0 instead of front pcie 4.0 with heatsink.

Here are my questions:

My PSU didn't have any molex connectors so I got the pinout and made a cable. Should I split the 2 molex connectors on the n1 to 2 separate set of molex wires instead of connecting the 2 to the same set?

For unraid, do I put the os on a internal ssd or I have a portable ssd I can use, size matter?

Will I benefit having say 2x Optane 905P Series 1.5TB (they on sale for $400) connected to say a Synology E10M20-T1 10GbE Ethernet & Dual M.2 Adapter Card?

Just trying to the complete build at the same time and start doing my transfers.
Exciting project ahead! Regarding the molex connectors, it's generally a good practice to spread the load, so splitting them into separate sets might be beneficial for more stable power distribution.

For Unraid, you can install the OS on either an internal SSD or the portable one you have. The size doesn't need to be large; a 120GB SSD is usually sufficient, and it's good to have a dedicated drive for the OS.

Adding 2x Optane 905P Series 1.5TB with the Synology E10M20-T1 10GbE adapter can significantly boost performance, especially for file transfers. With 10GbE, you'll experience faster data transfer rates, and the Optane drives will contribute to swift read/write operations. Considering the sale price, it sounds like a worthwhile investment.