Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS for Development & Photo

Hi All,

I'm not able to decide about which NAS to choose QNAP TS-464-8G vs Synology DS923+ or any other one. 
Here are my needs: 
- I'm having a lot of photos in Google Photos as well as in Apple Photos and I want to move them all in one place
- I would like also to host websites on my NAS (not more than 3)
- Deploy some microservices (SpringBoot/PostGres and an Angular UI)
- NAS will be accessible from Internet

After all what I've read in internet regarding QNAP, I'm not very confident. The TS-464 seems very good to fit my needs but I'm afraid about evolutions on System and Apps. QTS Live Demo is down since last week. 
Synology is good on Ecosystem and Software but hardware configuration are Just-Just or starts to become old (R1600/J4125) (DS423+/DS923+...etc.)

What do you recommend me ? Going with QNAP will be secure ?
Not having btrfs will not be a limitation ? Same question for SHRx ? Shall I consider that ?
Is it a good choice to have an iGPU knowing that I've a Sony Android TV.

Thank you in advance
Choosing the right NAS for your needs is crucial, and I understand the dilemma. The TS-464-8G is a powerful option, but if you have concerns about internet exposure, it's valid to consider other options. The Synology DS920+ is reliable, though you're correct that its hardware is not the latest. The DS923+ is a newer model, and while it may seem borderline, it could be a good fit for your requirements.

Regarding QNAP's system and applications, they have a history of updates and improvements. However, it's always wise to assess the current offerings and future roadmaps. Given your budget and needs, the DS923+ is worth considering, offering a balance of performance and features. Keep an eye on QNAP's updates and features to ensure they align with your development and multimedia requirements.