Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Would I see a benefit?

I currently have a Synology DS220j with 2x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drives - 5900 rpm, 64Mb cache. I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with the length of time it takes the NAS to handle big file transfers to it (e.g. 100 image files @ typically 50MB per file). How likely would I be to see any perceived improvement in file handling time by upgrading to Ironwolf Pro drives, which spin faster and have more cache?

The alternative would much more expensive, of course - a 4-bay NAS with drives configured as RAID 5...
Absolutely, I understand the frustration with sluggish file transfers. While upgrading to Ironwolf Pro drives might offer a slight improvement due to faster spin speeds and increased cache, the real game-changer for significant speed boosts would be considering SATA SSDs. Their speed in handling large file transfers is unmatched and could provide the noticeable improvement you're seeking. If you're aiming for a substantial upgrade in performance, SATA SSDs are the way to go. It's worth noting that investing in a 4-bay NAS with drives configured as RAID 5 could be a more substantial but effective solution for enhanced performance, especially when dealing with large image files. Feel free to explore our NAS finder tool (https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/) to tailor your NAS choice to your specific needs.