Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS / Drive Compatability Concern

After thorough research, I've chosen the DS1522+ for my home NAS setup, planning to use 4 x ST20000NT001 - 20TB Ironwolf Pro HDDs and later adding a fifth 10TB drive for security cameras. To boost performance, I aim to include 2 x M.2 Gen 4 drives for caching, yet finding suitable RAM for a 32GB upgrade poses a challenge. I'm open to using your affiliate link for the RAM or M.2 Kit if you have any suggestions.

My primary concern is drive compatibility, as Synology's list doesn't confirm support for the 20TB Ironwolf drives. Could you verify this based on your testing?

Identifying any major concerns with my plan would be appreciated. Note: Noise isn't an issue, and the device will be UPS-powered.
Absolutely, I get your concern about drive compatibility. The DS1522+ can handle SATA drives, even if they're not on the official list. You might encounter a warning, but no worries—I've got a hack for that to make it a smooth experience. Now, for your setup, the 20TB Ironwolf Pro HDDs should work seamlessly. As for the RAM upgrade, for a solid 32GB, consider checking out Synology's recommended modules or look into compatible options from your preferred retailer. And yes, you can go ahead and use our affiliate link for the RAM or M.2 Kit.

For more info on caching with NVMe drives, check out this list with endurance ratings: NVMe Endurance Ratings. It's crucial for the kind of read and write operations you'll be dealing with.