Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS/DAS For Remote Video Editing

I want to either build or buy my first NAS. I want it to be good for mastering video and sound projects as my business relies heavily on these two services. I provide videography services to businesses and musicians and I am also making online video courses.

I would like the system to be redundant and a good backup solution for all my data. I currently have 12TB of data floating around on multiple drives. So I definitely want to use something like RAID 5 or RAID 6.

I feel like 24TB is a good amount for future proofing , but I would like the option to expand.

And I would like the highest specs as far as processing, video RAM, and RAM. A mixture of HDD and SSD would be nice, but if not, I would prioritize speed.

I use DaVinci Resolve and I would like to host my own project server on the NAS.

I’ve built a PC before and I’m decently tech savvy. I wouldn’t mind spending the time to learn all about it because the knowledge will be valuable as I choose solutions in the future. Thanks!
Hey there! It's awesome that you're diving into the NAS world for your video and sound projects. Based on your needs, I'd recommend checking out the Synology DS1522+. With its AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU and 8 GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM RAM, it packs a punch for your multimedia endeavors. It supports up to 5 bays, giving you flexibility for RAID setups, and the option to expand in the future if needed. The DS1522+ also comes with 10GbE support, ensuring smooth data transfers for your video editing tasks. To top it off, the NAS supports hosting your own project server, fitting seamlessly into your DaVinci Resolve workflow.

For more details, you can explore the DS1522+ on the Synology official site: https://www.synology.com/products/DS1522+

If you're still weighing your options, you might find the NAS Finder tool helpful in narrowing down choices: https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/