Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS418play upgrade

Hi - Love your site and I find your videos to be very educational.

I had a DS418play that fried on me and need to upgrade. My primary uses are for home and I run Synology surveillence station and streaming Plex. Mainly to set top boxes and smart TVs that allow for the Plex app install.

I'm looking at the
- DS224+ (I like this because of the integrated GPU)
- or -
- DS923+ because of the future proofing but unfortunately lack of integrated GPU.

I'm having a hard time deciding because I like the idea of having server side processing (DS224+) for my movies because my streaming devices don't have that conversion capability. But given the more power provided by the DS923+ will my streaming be impacted by the lack of integrated GPU?

Thanks a million

Cheers,
Steve
Great to hear you enjoy our content! For your home upgrade, considering your needs with Synology Surveillance Station and Plex streaming, both the DS224+ and DS923+ are solid choices. If you're leaning towards server-side processing for movies, the DS224+ with its integrated GPU is a good fit. However, keep in mind that the DS923+ offers more power for future-proofing, although it lacks the integrated GPU. For your streaming, it's worth noting that both will perform similarly for local use, capping at 1080p via Plex for remote access. If 4K remote streaming via the DS Video app is a priority, the DS423+ might be worth considering. Feel free to weigh these factors and make the choice that aligns best with your preferences and future needs.