Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

i5 QNAP TVS-h874 Noise Level?

Question 
The review for the QNAP TVS-h874 includes this section about fan noise:

"I was always impressed by the cooling system on the TVS-872XT/X, but there is no avoiding that this is not exactly going to be a whisper-quiet system! Indeed, those content creators and editors in post-production that are considering this system for editing on PCIe4 Storage over 10GbE (or scaling up towards 25/40Gb on SFP or Thunderbolt) should be aware that close proximity to the device is going to be hard going!"

Since the review seems to be for the i9 version of the NAS, is the i5 version substantially quieter? I feel like I can assume it would be, although I would appreciate someone else's opinion on that, but even more so, does anyone have first-hand experience with the i5?

I have a QNAP TVS-872XT which I'm trying to replace because of a hardware problem which is no longer under warranty. I made a mistake in getting a TVS-h1688X, but that is way too loud. Even with the fans turned all the way down on the hardware settings page, it seems like there is at least one fan which is unaffected by the settings and is very loud.

The TVS-872XT was always very quiet, I just unfortunately need to replace it. (I don't care about drive noise, just fan noise.) Do you think the i5 h874 in quiet mode might have a similar noise level to the 872XT?
Usually, a larger enclosure and a more powerful CPU tend to result in higher noise levels. While the i5 version of the QNAP TVS-h874 might be quieter than the i9 model, the general rule of thumb is that larger systems with faster processors may generate more fan noise.