Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS migration advice

Hi, I saw your video on Plex and the Synology DS423+ and it looks like it would fit my purposes. I'm a long time Plex user and and I currently have all media on a Synology DS418J and Plex server on my PC, along with Sonarr, Radarr etc. I want to move all media and servers to a new NAS but I'm not sure how to migrate from the current NAS to a new one without buying new drives and recreating everything. The DS418J is not an Intel chip and the Synology website says HD migration isn't supported? What path would you recommend?

Thanks!
Hey! Great to hear you're considering the Synology DS423+ for your Plex needs. Regarding the migration, you're correct that Synology's official migration process supports moving from a J series to another J series and from a plus series to another plus series. However, for your situation, where you're looking to upgrade from DS418J to DS423+, it gets a bit tricky as the migration isn't officially supported.

But hey, don't worry! There's a handy app called Migration Assistant (https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/p...arch=ds418) that might come to your rescue. It helps in transferring data from one Synology NAS to another. However, be mindful that if you want to keep your old drives in the new NAS, it might involve getting new drives or backing up all your data first, reformatting the old drives in the new NAS, and then copying the data back from your backup. It's a bit of a process, but it'll get you set up with the shiny new DS423+ without losing any precious data.