Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS storage for photos and backup

Hi
I have a small photo collection I want to maintain and backup and share access to the NAS with my wife and her family (2-4 users max).
The collection is about 500GB in size and our collection is growing at about 1TB yearly
I'm technically savy (Linux user) and would like to get to an affordable solution ideally out of the box, but I am prepared to do some tinkering with docker containers.
Fatures I need:
1. Stable and safe backup
2. All data (available) including face tags and other storage generated metadata as I'm trying to avoid vendor lock in by software (got burned on Google Photos)
3. Automated face tagging
4. Support for existing face tag format
-Currently using XMP sidecar files generated in Digikam for face tags
-Also using Google photos export with their JSON files for face taga
5. Open standards / Open source software if possible
Hey there! For your photo gig, the Synology DS923+ is like the rockstar of NAS. It's got the chops with its AMD Ryzen engine and 4GB RAM to handle your pics and keep things running smooth. Synology's DSM is like the backstage VIP pass, giving you easy access and ensuring your metadata game is on point. Face tagging? Synology Moments has got your back, making your photo collection the cool kid on the block. And hey, it's open to tinkering with Docker if you ever feel like spicing things up. With your 1500 EURO budget, you're getting a NAS that's ready to rock now and party on for years to come.