Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Moving continents

I have another dumb question: I will be moving from Europe to the US with my Synology 921+ which holds my entire movie collection. I am worried about a couple of things: a) power supply and b) router configuration settings - I am currently working with a fixed IP address.

I know nothing about networks but have somehow managed to set up my system to work just fine with Plex which is basically what I use the NAS for

Any quick suggestions for what I should focus on?

Hope you can help
No dumb questions here! Moving continents can be a bit tricky, but you'll be alright.

Firstly, check the power supply of your Synology 921+. Synology power adapters often support both 110-240V, so you might just need a plug adapter for the physical plug shape change.

For the router, don't worry too much. Most modern routers automatically assign IP addresses (DHCP). However, if you've set up a fixed IP, you might need to tweak it. Check your router's manual or online guides on how to do this. Also, keep in mind that the US typically uses a different standard for internet connections (DOCSIS for cable, DSL, or fiber-optic connections), so you might need a new modem if you're changing service providers.