Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology Backup advice

Hi NasCompares Team,
Thanks for all of the great content provided, I've been following along for a while, even back in the SPAN days.

I have a question I hope you can help with. I've recently replaced a very old QNAP device at a customer site with a Synology DS1522+. The backup strategy is; that the 1522+ backs up using Hyper Backup to another Synology (1520+) located in a different building. The 1520+ then backs up to Backblaze B2 nightly, I'm backing up the backup to the cloud. Thankfully, I've not had to restore anything from BB yet, we're using snapshots for small restores. My question is, instead of backing up the backup files to B2, should I be running a secondary backup job on the 1522+ instead? I think for de-duplication purposes and granular restores, it might make more sense. What do you think?

Thank you again for providing this service.

Best regards,

Danny
Appreciate your setup details, and it's great to see you embracing the power of NAS. Now, regarding your backup strategy, the current relay dance through the DS1522+ to the 1520+ and then off to Backblaze B2 is solid. However, technically speaking, streamlining the process with a direct backup from the DS1522+ to the cloud (Backblaze B2) could potentially shorten the recovery process. This direct route eliminates an intermediate step, making restores smoother and more straightforward.

Consider the simplicity and efficiency gains of cutting out the middleman in your backup journey. If your current setup aligns with your needs and you're comfortable with the snapshot system for smaller restores, you're doing well. Just a thought to optimize that recovery speed a bit more.