Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

4 Bay NAS for Photo Storage

Hi guys. Absolutely love your YT channel! You are so knowledgeable and know so much. That's half the problem! I've listened to so many of your videos I've got myself confused.
Wife and I both photographers. Combined we have about 6TB and growing of images needing looking after. Currently on HDD's and externals. Looked at QNAP and Synology 4 Bays with 4x 4TB in Raid 5. Tried QNAP demo software online. Don't like it. Too over complicated. Synology seems to be an easier UI for us.
Sole purpose is to backup images from 2x PCs and 3x Laptops and 3x Smartphones. Maybe a bit of music streaming as well. No video content or web hosting etc.
Like the idea of AI to identify photos - faces and things and places.
DS423 - Face recognition only due to 2GB RAM
DS423+ Better as more RAM - Face and Object
DS923+ - is it worth going the extra for this given our actual needs?

Such a minefield!

Kind regards
Nic (The Baffled)
Hey Nic (The Baffled)! Stoked to hear you're diving into the NAS world. For your photo treasure trove, considering your needs, the DS423+ is a sweet spot. With more RAM, it not only nails face recognition but also adds object recognition to the mix. Plus, it fits your budget range like a glove. Now, the DS923+ is a powerhouse, but unless you're eyeing heavy-duty tasks beyond backups and facial intel, the DS423+ should ride the wave just fine. Smooth sailing, mate! Feel free to drop more questions as you navigate this minefield. Cheers! ?✨

P.S. Check out the NAS Finder Tool for a quick guide: https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/