Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help pick the right NAS

I am not a tech person. I need a simple NAS to work as my Plex server.

My collection of movies has all been ripped from dvd's and blu rays I own. I have ripped them all in a program called MakeMKV - and left them in a MKV format. The collection right now is about 12TB. My house has 3 tv's with ROKU devices that we stream to, but never more the 2 at a time. Never us plex while traveling, and I don't share my plex with friends or family at this time. I have zero idea if there is transcoding going on or not. My last server was an old 4th gen I5 tower that just died.

The second half of this is I want to use the NAS to back up the families Iphones and Ipads. There is 5 of us. So, I want one that has a good Iphone app thats easy for the wife and kids to use (and me).

I can spend a few bucks if I have to but prefer to keep it more on the budget side. I was looking at DS723+ or maybe AS5402T ? TS-264? Something else? Which would better serve me? Thank you.
Given your requirements for a simple NAS serving as a Plex server and facilitating iPhone and iPad backups, a few options come to mind. The Synology DS723+ and the ASUSTOR AS5402T are both solid choices, but let's delve into the specifics.

The DS723+ from Synology boasts a 2-bay setup and an efficient AMD Ryzen R1600 processor, making it well-suited for Plex streaming. With its user-friendly DSM (DiskStation Manager) interface, it's an excellent fit for non-tech users. Additionally, Synology has a robust mobile app, DS file, providing seamless iPhone and iPad backup functionalities.

On the other hand, the ASUSTOR AS5402T is equipped with an Intel Celeron N5105 processor, which should handle your Plex needs smoothly. ASUSTOR also offers a user-friendly interface, and their mobile app, AiData, simplifies iPhone and iPad backups.

If budget considerations play a role, the QNAP TS-264 could be a viable alternative. It features a 2-bay design and a quad-core processor, ensuring decent performance for your requirements.

Considering your collection size (around 12TB) and the simultaneous streaming to a maximum of two TVs, any of these NAS models should suffice. It might be wise to lean towards the DS723+ or AS5402T for a more straightforward user experience and reliable app support.

To make your decision easier, you can use the NAS Finder tool on nascompares.com (https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/) to get personalized recommendations based on your needs.