Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology DS420J HDD compatibility

Hello
I currently use a Synology DS420J NAS with 4 Ironwolf Pro 6TB HDDs (in SHR1 configuration).
I am planning on replacing 2 of the HDDs with Exos X16 14 TB HDDs to increase available storage capacity (maintaining SHR1).
However, I have searched the Synology site and I am still not sure if the NAS will work/is compatible with the new HDDs.
Any help much appreciated.
Tks
Absolutely, your plan to upgrade your Synology DS420J's storage capacity sounds like a good move. The DS420J is generally compatible with a variety of hard drives, and Synology often provides a list of officially supported drives on their site. However, even if your specific drives aren't listed, it doesn't necessarily mean they won't work.

The Ironwolf Pro 6TB HDDs are already part of your current configuration, and introducing Exos X16 14TB HDDs should work seamlessly within the SHR1 setup. Synology NAS devices are known for their flexibility in accommodating different drive models and capacities.

While it's always a good practice to check Synology's official compatibility list for your NAS model, in many cases, users successfully use drives that aren't explicitly listed. Keep in mind that you might encounter a warning message about compatibility, but you can typically disable it without any functional issues.

https://nascompares.com/answer/hdd-compa...d-message/