Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what do I need

I am currently thinking of getting a NAS, mainly to stop paying for cloud storage and backup my phone.

a bonus would be to get media streaming. DLNA or plex should be fine.
my current ideas are:
1- DS423 - ~350 + cost of drives (minimum 200)

2- a used DS1512+ 4GB ram, and 2x4tb + 160 Sata SSD drives for 270

I know that the used one is end of life and won't be getting any updates but sounds like a good deal but I will probably have to run it locally as it won't be getting security updates even. it will also not run DSM 7 but I am not sure if it is worth spending double the money for.

wondering if there is something else that I should think about.
thanks
When it comes to NAS solutions tailored for media tasks, Celeron-based models stand out, especially for remote video streaming. They ensure a seamless viewing experience even from a distance. However, if your needs go beyond basic storage and extend to advanced functionalities, considering the "+" (plus) models is crucial. These enhanced variants offer more than just storage—they introduce features like virtual machine support, advanced backup applications, and upgradability. Virtual machines enable diverse applications, while robust backup tools enhance data protection. Upgradability ensures your NAS can evolve with your needs. So, while Celeron models excel in remote media access, the "+" versions provide a holistic solution for those seeking comprehensive and future-proof NAS capabilities.
https://nascompares.com/nas-builder/