Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for serving 4-5 4K BluRay movies simultaneously

I want to be able to serve 4-5 different 4K movies simultaneously. I have been trying to calculate processor speed/power and connectivity speed to achieve this goal. An I9 processor may be able to process the data but without 4 lanes of 10g connectivity it may not be able to send the data to all 4 viewers. Any help with my weak math skills would be appreciated!
For serving multiple 4K BluRay movies simultaneously on a QNAP TVS-h874, you're on the right track by considering a powerful CPU and GPU combination. Here's a recommendation:

Processor: Opt for a 12th Gen Intel i9 processor with a high clock speed and multiple cores. The i9-12900K or a similar variant would provide ample power for transcoding multiple 4K streams concurrently.

GPU: Considering your requirements, adding a GPU like the GTX 1060 to the QNAP TVS-h874 can significantly offload transcoding tasks, ensuring smoother playback and freeing up the CPU for other tasks. This is especially beneficial if your chosen media server software supports GPU acceleration.

Connectivity: Confirm that the QNAP TVS-h874 has sufficient high-speed connectivity, preferably 10GbE or higher, to ensure data can be sent seamlessly to multiple viewers.

RAM: Make sure the NAS is equipped with an ample amount of RAM, preferably 16GB or more, to handle concurrent streaming tasks efficiently.

Storage: Given your budget, invest in a robust storage configuration. Consider a RAID setup with high-capacity drives, such as 48TB in RAID 10 for both speed and redundancy.