Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best Drive Configuration for Windows 11 Pro Storage Spaces

I am building my first DIY NAS. I have all of the hardware.
My drive options are as follows:
Booting from a 256GB NVME with Windows 11 Pro
5x6TB 7200rpm + 1x500GB SSD available for an array.
I am only using this as a simple file server which will store movies that will be retrieved by my HTPC. It will also be used for Acronis backup storage of my gaming rig and the HTPC. It will not serve any other purpose. It will not be accessed by more than one computer at a time and will be on a 2.5GbE network.
I am interested in using Windows 11 Pro Storage Spaces. What are my best options for configuring it as far as parity/cache or other options? I have never used it before. I do not think I want to use Unraid or TrueNAS as I have zero experience with that either and am pretty comfortable with the Windows environment. I will be performing regular backups of this stored data to large external HDD to help avoid trajedy. Thanks for your suggestion!
Drive Configuration:

Parity Spaces: Use the 5x6TB 7200rpm drives in a parity space configuration. This provides fault tolerance, allowing one drive to fail without data loss.
SSD as Cache: Employ the 500GB SSD as a write-back cache. This enhances write performance and helps in scenarios with random write workloads.
Backup Strategy:

Since you're regularly backing up to large external HDDs, having a parity space adds another layer of data protection, reducing the risk of data loss due to drive failures.
Network Speed:

With a 2.5GbE network, you have a decent speed for accessing movies and performing backups. Ensure your network infrastructure supports this speed.
Regular Monitoring:

Periodically check the health of your drives using tools like CrystalDiskInfo or the built-in Windows tools. This proactive approach can help detect potential issues early.
External Backups:

Ensure your external HDD backups are stored securely, and you can consider rotating them periodically or keeping one offsite for added protection.